Come on, husbands, remind your wives that they have to prepare the luggage, they will surely know how to do it better, even if they will take a lot of your space! Let’s pretend that we have already established what we have to put in (we will soon make a dedicated article). The funniest part remains: discovering that it has nothing to do with it and having to jump on the suitcase to close it! Once closed, then, realize that the weight is greater than the weight of the baggage allowance and start all over again. You’ll find many tutorials on the subject, some of which are highly questionable. But if you want to find out how to make the suitcase intelligently, here is a set of general rules!
General tips on how to pack intelligently!
Whatever means of transport you have chosen, it is always convenient to have light and compact luggage.
There are many suggestions, depending on your personal needs and the type of trip.
First of all, know that the best way to transport clothes so that they take up little space and do not crumple is to roll them up. It’s even better to leave a piece of the garment outside and use it to “encapsulate” the cylinder that comes out. The concept is simple but not in words, so I invite you to look for videos on youtube.com. My favourite is “Folding clothing techniques that you should share to keep”, but you could also try looking for “How to pack clothes for travelling” or other videos on how to roll up your clothes. Evaluate the ones that best suit your needs.
Seven tips on how to save space in packing intelligently!
- Use small containers to dose the products you need. For example, contact lens boxes are ideal for creams or foundation and so on.
- Insert film between the thread and the cap of the containers so that they remain better sealed.
- In the same way, evaluate the quantities of objects you need and place them in appropriate containers. Probably, for example, you will not need a whole pack of cotton flakes, just a few collected in a small bag.
- Put some objects, perhaps because they are delicate, inside the shoes, so as not to lose that space.
- Use shower caps as lightweight and practical disposable containers for footwear or the like.
- Place chains and the like between two sheets of the film so that they do not twist. You can attach the earrings to the holes in the old buttons.
- Prefer magazines and electronic books that you can download on tablets, e-books, etc., taking up less space.
Never forget to also consider the free space that you will need on your return to store souvenirs and purchases.
Packing intelligently when taking a flight
If your itinerary includes flights, there are a bit more complications in packing. These are divided into carry-on baggage, checked baggage and special baggage. For the latter (musical instruments, sports equipment, weapons, urns, etc.) it is better to contact the company directly and check the rules.
Each company has specific weights and dimensions for the baggage allowance. Check them thoroughly before departure. I recommend that you buy online, for a few euros, a special scale that will serve you not only at this stage, but every time you have to take a plane, even on the way back.
As far as hand luggage is concerned, it should also be specified that in most airports it is still not allowed to bring liquids in containers larger than 100 ml each, for a total of one litre, all contained in a transparent envelope (sometimes also provided at the terminals). Fortunately in recent times (except in particularly sensitive airports such as London) on this aspect you are not very picky at the baggage check, but containers of liquid over 100 ml are usually thrown away. Be careful, therefore, in particular to tricks and perfumes that can also be very expensive.
Place the envelope with liquids and travel documents in a front pocket so that you do not have to do too many manoeuvres when checking.
Tips and tricks to make the suitcase in an intelligent way when you take a Low-Cost flight (and not only)
For flights with low-cost airlines (and not only), but there may also be severe restrictions on the weight and size of hand luggage. Here are a couple of very special tricks that will allow you to solve the problem.
There are cases with removable wheels that can be put in your pocket when your luggage is weighed or measured, saving you precious centimetres and a few grams. You can also buy these wheels separately, to apply them to any suitcase.
Many people are forced to fill their pockets with chargers and other heavy items to take them out of their suitcases. The real trick, however, is to use an airport-jacket. There are several models and these are jackets specifically designed to carry the same content of an entire bag. No one, at least so far, can contest what you carry in your pocket. These intelligent devices, moreover, can be folded comfortably on themselves and become a bag with many handles to facilitate the transport when there are no more limits of weight and space, even during the checks to the metal detector.
The various models have a different style, capacity and prices and can adapt to all needs. You can choose whether to keep a decent appearance or fregarven to look like Humpty dumpty and carry 30 kilos more.
Suitcase making in a smart way: 3 ideas to avoid the discomfort of the loss of luggage
For the baggage to be taken on board, the maximum weight and size allowed, as if that were not enough, we add another problem. Those who travel often already know: we must always consider the remote possibility that checked baggage is lost. This happens more frequently if the stopover is too short, if delays occur or if low-cost airlines operate multi-stage flights.
It is a rather sad event because in those days (usually no more than two) that separate you from getting your luggage back, the fear of not seeing some of your things again is added the discomfort of not having available clothes and other goods more or less primary.
- Prepare a label with not only your data but also where you will stay and especially the flights taken. Maybe cover it with transparent tape (it will be disposable) and attach it to the suitcase with a simple keyring ring. Yes, they do so already at check-in, with barcodes. But if your luggage has been lost there may have been a problem with their tags. Prepare them for return and take them with you.
Buy or make luggage covers. You can also take them abroad where you will find all types and prices. You will save the expensive plastic coating they provide at airports. The latter only lasts for one flight and you
- Provides insurance that may be superfluous, since you already have the compulsory insurance of the company. It is also the same for everyone. Personal luggage covers will make your luggage unique and therefore easier to find not only for you at the belt, but also and especially during transport or in case of loss. It would be better to take some flashy, garish, particular ones. Calm girls, I know that you like to be fashionable and have the colours that make a pendant … but the more the suitcase is flashy, the lower the risk of being lost or found late. Also hiding the brand “super fashion” discourages any malicious people from targeting your new and trendy super fashion suitcase. Keep that in mind.
- Another important tip: prepare the suitcase in a “cross-sector” way, it will be more uncomfortable but it will save you the day in case of loss or delayed delivery of the luggage. Let’s understand what it means: for simplicity imagine travelling in pairs, with two suitcases to embark. Let’s assume that you will have to visit some places where to do some trekking, and others where to go to the sea. Well, what you should do is put all the trekking stuff in one suitcase and all the sea stuff in another. Also in the remaining space of each suitcase, a few clothes each. I understand that it may seem like a mess, but if you were to lose a suitcase (losing both is a remote hypothesis) you would not find yourself in the condition in which one of the two has everything and the other has nothing. Also, if you lose your suitcase with the trekking stuff, for example, you can start with the sea, or you will need to go only to a store that sells trekking staff to solve the problem. If you had traditionally packed your bags, each one on its own, and if one was lost, the unfortunate would have had to buy everything back probably going to different shops and losing holiday time that, as we have repeatedly said, we consider sacred.
In any case, everything that is essential should be carried in hand luggage that you should not miss (unless you are particularly refunded by the jet-lag).
Remember, moreover, that if you embark some liquids it is opportune to put them in one or more plastic bags because between bumps and changes of pressure, they could escape and to ruin that which is around you.
Packing intelligently in the case of special luggage
The hypotheses are endless, but try to use lateral thinking. Let’s take the example of a beautiful fencing bag, full of heavy suits and masks and cumbersome swords.
The Masters Francesco Leonardi and Gianfilippo Di provide us with some “tricks” that have been matured in the very long years of international experience in the field:
If the rules of that company do not provide for the fencing bag, but there is a surcharge for all sports bags, it will be enough to make it pass as a golf bag, so the bag passes without any surcharge.
In other cases, it will be sufficient to pass it off as a general oversized bag, provided that it is under 23 kg; this applies to almost all airlines.
For the Low Cost to comply with the required fees we have the ploy to avoid the surcharge for sports equipment (from 50 to 60 € each way): go to the packaging service with film (from 10 to 12 €) and declare our luggage as a simple suitcase generic out of size!